[TR] License Plate Replication

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Jun 25 09:50:40 MDT 2010

> And for those who are sure it's illegal,

I would be a lot more impressed with that, Nolan, if it actually came from
the DMV.  It was 2009 when I specifically asked and was told that the CA DMV
would recognize only plates that they had supplied (one of mine was in poor
condition and I was considering having it duplicated).  Reproduction plates
are legal only for "exhibition" not for registration purposes.  That was the
local DMV branch manager, who also happens to be president of the Studebaker
club.  Of course, she might still be mistaken.

Note http://www.cr8apl8.com/ which says
"... and with your valid license plate number and current registration tags
issued from the DMV ..."
except you cannot get current registration tags without having the plates
first.

Also "... LEGAL to display ..." which meshes well with what the DMV manager
told me.  You can _display_ almost anything; as long as the registered plate
is visible while operating on public roads.

Randall