[TR] What cost to give up your Triumph? (Rhetorical?)

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Fri Jun 25 09:26:36 MDT 2010

This question came up at an interesting time. The cost of running my sports
car has always been an issue, once the car moved from being my only
transportation to being the "special" car.  Long ago I decided to run it
only in the summer and to preserve it with the intent that it would be part
of the fun of retirement.   The car spent many a year unregistered and
sitting in a garage when I was married and the kids were young.  Now I can
afford to run the car but am faced with the cost of replacing parts just due
to their age, such as the crash pads.

I was also just thinking about how much modern vehicles/traffic has reduced
the pleasure of driving my TR-6.   It seems that so many autos these days
are SUVs or at least larger, higher cars.  Their headlights blind you from
behind, hitting all three mirrors due to the height of the headlights and
the inability of modern drivers to leave enough distance between cars even
when traffic is light.  Oncoming cars blind you, again from their headlight
height but also because headlights have become brighter and brighter while
aging eyes are slower to respond to the onslaught.  Even tail/stoplights are
too bright.  I've found them annoyingly bright in daylight even.   It seems
also that the vast majority of drivers (in Mass/RI at least) don't have the
intelligence or are too selfish to use turn signals ever.

Ron L