[TR] License Plate Replication

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Jun 25 08:47:34 MDT 2010

> I have, for my TR3, still one original black California
> license plate,
> which is  in fairly decent shape and I intend to re-register
> with it. I
> understand that there are people that replicate a second one from
> fiberglass or such. Does anyone out there have any  information
> regarding plate replication?

Only that it is illegal in CA.  You will need to produce two originals to be
allowed to re-register with them (along with proof that the car was
previously registered with those license plates).  Although there is some
chance the DMV clerk won't notice that one of the plates is a fake, I
wouldn't want to chance it.  AFAIK even the best reproductions available (in
other states) are not steel, and the difference in weight is noticeable if
you hold them in your hands.

My DMV didn't want to do the registration anyway.  I had to quote them
chapter and verse from the law and show how I met each point of the law
(that I was a collector, the car was primarily for exhibition, and so on);
and even then they would only forward my application to Sacramento without
saying whether it would be accepted or not.

Note that "black" plates do not come under the "Year of Manufacture" statute
for TR3s.  My DMV insisted on submitting the paperwork the first time as
YOM, and Sacramento properly rejected it.

Randall