[TR] Breather Tube, TR3A

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Jun 10 18:28:04 MDT 2010

> Not sure if it's a problem, haven't caught the culprit in
> action.  But question: does the oil breather tube on a TR3A
> have the potential to drip oil?

Certainly possible.  My TR3A would leave a drop or two after a hard run; as
do most cars with road draft tubes.

The crankcase pretty well fills with oil mist when the engine is running at
speed, and the road draft tube pulls some of that out.  About the only way
to totally eliminate even one drop of oil is to either add a catch can or
convert to PCV of some sort.

Apparently the "evacuation" systems that put what amounts to a road draft
tube into the exhaust pipe work well; I may try that approach.
http://tinyurl.com/2by2fcp

(Thanks to Joe A for that tip.)

Randall