[TR] TR4A Project

Chip19474 at aol.com Chip19474 at aol.com
Sun Jun 6 10:39:26 MDT 2010

Pat,

I think you're correct to suspect springs as the cause of the high ride
height.....I've seen this on another TR4A that I worked on while employed at a
 Brit car restoration shop a few years ago.  Can you check with your
restoration shop to get a part number for the springs they used to confirm if
the correct springs were ordered and fitted?

It's not unusual for even correct springs to sit a little high when the car
 is first placed on the road.  Generally after a few miles, the rubber
control arm, etc. bushings will take a set and the suspension will  settle to a
reasonable height.  But, your's, like the one I worked on,  is higher than
usual.

I've seen a bunch of weird spring heights from the big three for "stock"
springs for the same car.  I still can't figure out why several pairs of a
stock springs (stock psi steel) from different suppliers measure  differently
from top to bottom when you take them out of the box???

I'm probably going to replace my stock springs this winter with a higher
rated springs and, while I'm at it, replace the front sway bar with a
thicker unit.  No financial interest here, but I think I'll consult with  Richard
Good from GoodParts for my best choice - I'm not looking to make an
autocross car - just firm up the ride!

Good luck....

Chip Krout
Delaware Valley Triumphs, Ltd.