[TR] TR4 Compression and Wheels

GHaynesTR4 at aol.com GHaynesTR4 at aol.com
Sat Jul 31 08:27:06 MDT 2010

List,
In my experience, TR4 compression readings in the 185 to 200 psi range
indicate some head milling has been done.   My own TR4A measured 210 after
milling the head and I suspect my milling job was the second, making the
compression too high.   For a few years, I used two head gaskets to reduce the
compression to a point where reasonable ignition timing could be set without
pinging.   Finally swapped heads.
Regarding the wheels:   the only 4.5" wide wheels I have ever seen on a
Triumph were 60-spoke wires.
All TR3 and TR4 steel wheels were 4.0" wide.   Can't say that I've seen it
all, but there's about 40 years' of tire changing to go by.   The 205/75R15
tires were an absurd choice on such a narrow wheel, perhaps all that was
available at the time.    Not looking for a p...g contest here, just sharing my
experience.
George