[TR] Moss Video to test Lucas generator

wbeech at flash.net wbeech at flash.net
Sat Jul 24 14:34:31 MDT 2010

Good weekend List,

I found this Moss video to show how to test a generator but now I am a bit
more confused than before I watched it.  It shows a voltmeter with the two
leads going off camera and attached to???, I think a battery?  Also, it
shows two leads attached to the generator and going to ???, ( as this
appears to be a bench test are they trying to simulate the generator being
in a vehicle?).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR2_y0EIGRU

My thinking is that I should be able to place the generator on the bench and
spin it at around 3,000RPM and look for a reading in excess of 12 volts.  Is
this correct?

Is there a simple proved why to test a generator before re-installing it?

As always, your thoughts and explanations are welcome and appreciated/

All the best,
Bill

Bill Beecher
'58 TR-3A TS30766L  "Tarbaby"