[TR] Moss Video to test Lucas generator

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Sun Jul 25 08:15:39 MDT 2010

On Saturday, July 24, 2010 04:34:31 pm wbeech at flash.net wrote:
> Good weekend List,
>
> I found this Moss video to show how to test a generator but now I am a bit
> more confused than before I watched it.  It shows a voltmeter with the two
> leads going off camera and attached to???, I think a battery?  Also, it
> shows two leads attached to the generator and going to ???, ( as this
> appears to be a bench test are they trying to simulate the generator being
> in a vehicle?).
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR2_y0EIGRU
>

> My thinking is that I should be able to place the generator on the bench
> and spin it at around 3,000RPM and look for a reading in excess of 12
> volts.  Is this correct?
>
> Is there a simple proved why to test a generator before re-installing it?
>
> As always, your thoughts and explanations are welcome and appreciated/
>
> All the best,
> Bill
Bill,

If I remember correctly, the way I test a generator is to attach a + lead to
ground on the generator from the battery and - to both the small and large
spade connectors and if the generator spins like a motor it is good to go. I
am sure there are other ways to check out each circuit with a meter. I believe
there is a diagnostic on the web somewhere to check the entire charging
circuit.

Bob