[TR] A bit more about thrust washers

David Brister david.brister at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jan 21 10:24:06 MST 2010

 Dear listers, this info may be of interest to some with TRactor motors.

Referring to my original Triumph TR4 and 4A workshop manual I find the
following.

Crankshaft end float, desirable 0.004 to 0.006"
Maufacturing (tolerance?)         0.0048 to 0.0117"
Wear limit                                 0.015.

Haynes Manual     Endfloat        0.004-0.006"

Moss Catologue
Standard Thrust washer set        0.0925" available + 5 and +8 thou.

So it seems that (surprise, surprise!) Randall is correct and there is no
manufacturers limit up to .015" but it would seem desirable to keep the
endfloat below 0.012". If the endfloat gets too much the crank can wreck the
block!

I guess that on assembly in the factory if they found endfloat greater than
.006"they just used oversize washers if necessary to get the endfloat within
their desirable  tolerance.

David Brister
1967 TR4A
CTC 77785 0