[TR] A bit more about thrust washers

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Jan 21 22:41:04 MST 2010

> If the endfloat gets too much the
> crank can wreck the block!

While I won't say it's impossible, I think that is very unlikely on the
TRactor motor, and it would take a lot more than .015" clearance to do it.

The tales of block damage come entirely (AFAIK) from TR6 and Spitfire
owners, which have a slightly different arrangement with only a half circle
of bearing on each side.  Typically what happens is that the half circle
falls out in the pan, leaving the crank free to grind against the bearing
cap.

Even my TR3A motor with the bearings all worn into the copper backing did
not have any damage from excessive thrust clearance.

(Talk about driving like you stole it ... the DPO had literally driven the
car until it would not run, while failing to make the payments on it.)

Randall