[TR] Wing or Side Fender Vents

Alan Myers amfoto1 at aol.com
Wed Jan 20 14:09:18 MST 2010

Hi Gary,

The rally car fender vent grills were simply cut from Herald grills. You can
either try to get one of those or Revington TR in England sells the grills
separately or in a kit with the necessary internal ducting:
http://www.revingtontr.com/shop/product_display.asp?mscssid=3RC1QAJ870U98KRVV
UQW16EWWTKK1R88&CarType=TR4&ProductID=RTR7019K

These are pretty accurate reproductions. Neil has one or two of the original
works cars he's restored, to reference. He's raced one of them in the past,
too... I don't know that he still does.

Yes, the rally cars had some aluminum panels.... AFAIK, the door skins, hood
skin, and trunk lid were replaced with aluminum panels. The steel frames were
still used underneath. I don't think any of the interior panels, front and
rear valances, or under structure were ever made up in aluminum. I don't think
so. Revington now offers a lot of other parts in aluminum, too.

But if you are really serious about weight reduction, fiberglass panels
probably make more sense and are a lot less costly. More easily repaired or
modified, too.

The air intake vent "door" behind the hood was replaced with a more aggressive
"scoop" and had a snap-on cover for foul weather. Revington sells those parts,
too.

The trunk (boot) lid hinges used on the rally cars were simply TR3 bonnet
(hood) hinges. I think leather straps were used at the bottom to keep the lid
securely closed.

Eventually I plan to install fender vents in my TR4, too. But I'll probably be
using a style more similar to the TRS LeMans cars.

Alan Myers
San Jose, California
'62 TR4 CT17602L
http://www.triumphowners.com/640