[TR] TR3A Windscreen Installation

Scott Suhring suhringtr36 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 17 08:05:54 MST 2010

I have gotten around to installing the windscreen on my '59 TR3A and have
run into a problem that I am a bit stumped by. The frame and stanchions are
original to the car and were rechromed a number of years ago. I replaced the
glass and glazing. I had to file down the guide plates a bit to get the
stanchions to fit into the guides. With the guide plates installed and the
stanchions installed, with the dzus fasteners, there is still a bit of a gap
between the body and the stanchions.  Not really noticeable but on the
passenger side there is consistent light. Here is where it gets really
frustrating. When I attach the windscreen to the stanchions, it pushes the
stanchions away from the body so that there is not a noticeable gap between
the body and where the stanchion is to seal up against the body.  When I
measure the distance between the screw points on the stanchions without the
windscreen installed, and then measure the same points on the windscreen,
there is consistently a 1/4" difference, with the windscreen being wider,
thus pushing out the stanchions when installed.  I see no indication that
the stanchions are bent in any way and I can't believe that the new chrome
would make that much of a difference. There was not body work done in this
area either.

Any thoughts or ideas, BTDT would be greatly appreciated.  TIA

Scott Suhring
Mechanicsburg, PA
'70 TR6
'59 TR3