[TR] Aircooled

Jim Wallace grandfatherjim at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 15:14:16 MST 2010

Vanagons maybe, but not 914s. I have a 914 engine sitting in my garage right
now that I hope to put in my VW bus (someday, in my spare time HAHAHAHA) and
it's definitely aircooled.
Fuel injected though, so that's pretty cool. 80 hp from 1700 cc, instead of
68 hp from the carb version - almost sounds like it could be enough, till
you realize you're pushing a great rectangular block through the air.
Although, the bay window bus has less drag coefficient (is that what it's
called? like, wind resistance divided by frontal area?) than a beetle. So
they say.
Jim
From: Don Spence <dkspence at telus.net>

Michael
 Well it is true that Vanagon and 914 prosches suffered from regular
antifreeze they did just fine on a phosphorus free antifreeze/water
blend. It was the phosphorus that corroded the aluminum.

I believe the earlier reference was a tongue in cheek reference to
air cooled VWs.