[TR] TR 3 Voltage Regulator

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Jan 12 13:05:00 MST 2010

> would you know how to identify those changes? is it the lucar
> connector Vs the screw connector in the control box? but what
> about the generator?

The generator change (as Andy points out, from type C39 to C40) was given as
TS59289 in the TSOA note; while it's my understanding that the change to
Lucar connectors didn't happen until TS60000.  That would seem to imply that
there was some overlap; but I don't know that for a fact.  It may even be
that there was a gap in production numbers before the new body was
introduced.

The C40 (23 amp) generator has a step in the outer body, making it larger
over the field coils than the C39 (19 amp) version.  The body of the C39 is
straight.  The model number (C39 or C40) should also be stamped on the unit
somewhere, but I'm not sure where offhand.

For the control box, I vaguely recall that the field resistor changed value;
but I don't have the information handy at the moment.  Perhaps Andy does?

However, I honestly doubt this is your problem, Frank.  I think you have
other problems, like bad grounds or "new" control boxes that don't work
(I've had several of those myself).

-- Randall