[TR] parts I used for Alternator conversion on my TR4

Chris Simo ccsimonsen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 09:54:03 MST 2010

I did this back in 2006 and it's been working great for me. I made no
permanent modifications to the car or wiring, so I can go back to the stock
generator setup anytime I like.

bought the pulley from these folks below - part number A203
http://www.alternatorparts.com/10si-all-in-one.html#pulleys

got a rebuilt alternator for a 75 Camaro (as someone suggested on this list)

and a cogged fan belt from NAPA  part number 2524379

a 6 inch piece of 3/8 or 1/2 pipe, a 7" (I think - best to measure) hardened
bolt,  and a 1/4 inch thick spacer.

I removed the generator and cut a piece of pipe to use as a spacer in the
generator bracket.  Use a high strength bolt as standard will not cut it.
the front plate alone is not enough to support the alternator - it will fail
is used alone to support the alternator.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4308/2993/1600/DSCN0700.jpg

the outboard washers are used to line up the Alternator pulley with the
crankshaft pulley.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4308/2993/1600/DSCN0708.jpg

cut the boss off the alternator so things line up  If I had been more
precise, I would not have needed the washers above.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4308/2993/1600/DSCN0706.jpg

Use a spacer and longer bolt to hold the belt tensioner.  I did not have to
bend the arm at all.  My spacer ended up being about 1/4 inch thick.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4308/2993/1600/DSCN0712.0.jpg

removed the control box and wired the alternator directly to the battery
through a fusible link as the wiring in my car was not up to the current a
modern alterantor can put out.
As a result, my amp meter is always showing discharge - but I don't mind
anymore.  Was going to put in a voltmeter but I've grown accustomed to the
meter.

Dan Masters has a very good write up on electricals on the  VTR website so I
wont address that.
http://www.vtr.org/maintain/alternator/conversions.shtml

Good luck,

Chris