[TR] Thrust washers.

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Jan 10 09:09:49 MST 2010

> Do listers think I should
> obtain oversize washers and grind them down to .0935 to bring
> the endfloat
> to .005? Or shall I just put it all back as it is!

Personally, I would leave well enough alone.  Thrust washers are practically
never a problem on the TRactor motor, possibly due to having twice as much
bearing area as the TR6 or perhaps due to better crank rigidity.  And the
.004"-.006" figure is a "new" specification, not a wear limit (no wear limit
is given, AFAIK)  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

But I'd like to point out that your math is off.  It is permissible to mix
oversize and standard thrusts (in pairs), so you would only need to reduce
two bearing halves from .0975" to .0960".  Not a "grinding" job but just a
few minutes with a sheet of fine sandpaper and a flat surface (a sheet of
window glass or MDF will do).  Obviously, you work down the backing side
(without the oil grooves).

Randall