[TR] parts I used for Alternator conversion on my TR4

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Jan 10 10:35:35 MST 2010

> As a result, my amp meter is always showing discharge -

FWIW, I did a conversion very similar to Chris' on my TR3A back in the 80's;
except I did route the 60 amp alternator output through the original wiring
harness and ammeter.  Since I didn't like having the ammeter hit the peg on
cold starts, I added a shunt across the back of it to take roughly 1/2 the
current (so it read +30 when the real current was +60).  This setup was
still working quite well for me when the car got wrecked in 2005.

Lacking a source for the pulley at the time, I just had a machine shop bore
out my original generator pulley for me (which was ruined for generator use
anyway, as it had worked loose on the shaft).

Randall