[TR] Thrust washers.

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Sun Jan 10 08:50:07 MST 2010

On Sunday 10 January 2010 09:48:57 am David Brister wrote:
> I would be grateful for the wisdom of the list on the matter of the thrust
> washers in my TR4A. Sometime ago I crowbarred the crankshaft back and forth
> and it seemed to have significant endplay. Eventually I obtained a dial
> gauge and the fixings and measured the play accurately at .0075". Since the
> sump gasket was leaking a bit more than I like I have dropped it to fix
>  the joint. Whilst there I have dropped the centre main bearing cap and
>  removed the thrust washers which both seem barely worn and are .0925"
>  thick as specified in the Moss catalogue.
> The centre main journal and cap bearing shell are in excellent condition
>  and the oil pressure runs as book in all weathers. Do listers think I
>  should obtain oversize washers and grind them down to .0935 to bring the
>  endfloat to .005? Or shall I just put it all back as it is!
> TIA.
>
> David Brister
> 1967 TR4A.

David,

Since you have the pan and cap off I see no reason not to set the end float to
the correct setting.

Just remember when you "grind" the oversize washers down, use a flat surface
and emery cloth if you do it at home. I use plate glass.
Also make sure you take material off the back of the washer, not the part with
the oil grove.

But you can have your local machine shop do it.

Bob