[TR] Thrust washers.

David Brister david.brister at wanadoo.fr
Sun Jan 10 07:48:57 MST 2010

I would be grateful for the wisdom of the list on the matter of the thrust
washers in my TR4A. Sometime ago I crowbarred the crankshaft back and forth
and it seemed to have significant endplay. Eventually I obtained a dial
gauge and the fixings and measured the play accurately at .0075". Since the
sump gasket was leaking a bit more than I like I have dropped it to fix  the
joint. Whilst there I have dropped the centre main bearing cap and removed
the thrust washers which both seem barely worn and are .0925" thick as
specified in the Moss catalogue.
The centre main journal and cap bearing shell are in excellent condition and
the oil pressure runs as book in all weathers. Do listers think I should
obtain oversize washers and grind them down to .0935 to bring the endfloat
to .005? Or shall I just put it all back as it is!
TIA.

David Brister
1967 TR4A.