[TR] steering box (randall)

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Feb 24 15:00:38 MST 2010

> In comments on wire wheels randall mentioned renewing tr-3
> steering box.  I'll be doing that soon and was curious about
> whats needed.  What is included on a common re-build.

If you decide to disassemble the steering box, then I would say, as a
minimum, replace the bushing, seal and peg.  They are cheap and easy, and
are the parts most likely to be worn.  The bearings, bearing races, worm and
rocker shaft can all be reused if they are in good condition.

My worm actually wasn't in such good condition, but I elected to reuse it
anyway.  Just replacing the less expensive components made a huge
difference, leaving me with the thought that I should have done it much
sooner!

Careful adjustment will also help.  Be sure you have the threaded adjustment
backed completely off while you are setting the end float to zero with the
shims.  Then set the threaded adjustment so you can just barely feel the
tight spot in the center while turning the shaft with your fingers.  Because
my worm was worn, I actually had two tight spots to either side of center,
instead of one in the middle.

Randall