[TR] steering box (randall)

Gary Nafziger nafzigerg at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 24 14:10:41 MST 2010

In comments on wire wheels randall mentioned renewing tr-3 steering box.  I'll be doing that soon and was curious about whats needed.  What is included on a common re-build.
During initial viewing and turning through the range of motion (off the car) nothing seems sloppy or out of shape.  I'm wondering if a good clean up, with new oil and then adjusting shims will be sufficient, or is there parts that need replacement as a matter of course.
If Randall is reading this............what did you replace?  I've already found the steering trunnion (i think thats what its called) to be packed with rust and crud and that might have been affecting my steering more than the steering box.
just wondering......

gary n.