[TR] Thrust washers - Main and Con bearings

popnglo at gmail.com popnglo at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 06:25:58 MST 2010

Hello List,

After a number of years I am making a return to the list, in search of the
sage advice. In the interim (I think its been maybe 2-3 years hiatis, maybe
more). I have been driving the TR3A and generally neglecting the
maintenance as I diverted to motorcycle interests. I now have 2 Yamaha
XS650' s (a 1979 and a 1980). The '79 I completely tore apart and I guess
you'd say a frame off... but that's another list. These are the 2 cylinder
air cooled vertical twins, of the British Triumph, BSA, Norton, etc style.
OHC instead of pushrod.

Back to the TR3 ... I decided this winter to follow a sound that's been
bothering me, seemingly originating at the bottom end. I did find the
starter dog bolt loose and I have found the crank end float to be .012"
(spec is (.004" - .006"). I had in the past (I think 3-4 years ago, maybe
more) changed the main bearings and con bearings when I did the sleeves and
pistons, but for some reason not the thrust washers, maybe not the con
bearings either. I'ma little fuzzy there.

My question, what may be the recommended source for the bearings and thrust
washers. I would prefer to go this time with the tri-metal type. I am
almost positive that I got the (County?)bearings I did change before are
from MOSS and they were the bi-metal type. I see that BFE and Brit Parts NW
(maybe TRF too) carry the tri-metal bearings. I will probably go with
standard size, I'll measure the journals, but I am not the least bit
thrilled to pull the crank unless I find something there that really
justifies that.

Also, I have been thinking to replace the oil pump drive shaft and bush.
These aren't cheap though and I am wondering whether they are worth it. Any
experiance out there? Also I do recall that there had been problems in the
past with "soft metal" shafts where the tang would fail after replacement.
Just wondering whether this is worth the bother. Is that little woodruff
key as difficult to seat as I imagine it could be?

In any case the apron, radiator, fan, hub, sump, etc, are all off and the
bottom end innards exposed, just sitting there waiting for their respective
maintenance interval.

I have been lurking on the list for the past 2 weeks, I see some familiar
listers and some new and some (to me) missing. I hope all has been well
with all and I hope going forward I will be able to contribute some. TIA
for any reply.

Best Regards,

Ed(1958 TR3A - Hudson Valley, NY)