[TR] Fuel smell

GSFuqua1 at aol.com GSFuqua1 at aol.com
Fri Feb 12 16:52:41 MST 2010

Tim, I am assuming that when you said you had renewed all the gaskets,
etc., that you also renewed the rubber tube that goes between the external gas
cap and the raised lip of the fuel tank.  That rubber hose is held in place
 by two clamps, one at each end.  Originally they were the dual wire clamps
 but given that no one can really see them without pulling the trunk board
aside  I use the modern clamps to I know I have a good seal there.  The hose
is  about 2 1/2" to 3" inches in diameter and about 4 or 5 inches long.
Depending on the model of TR 3 there can also be a very large nut that screws
 onto the threaded end of the piece coming down from the gas cap.  I
believe  there is either a rubber (like an O-Ring only flat and or a paper gasket
that  goes between the nut and the gas cap.

It's been a while since I have done the plumbing back in that area but
hopefully I haven't forgotten everything.  If I have I'm sure someone on  the
list can get it straight for you.

Cheers,

Gary