[TR] Squealing front brakes on TR3 after running for a while

John Macartney macartney.john at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 6 08:14:23 MDT 2010

I used to find that brake squeal on all my Triumphs over the years was usually
build-up of brake dust that didn't properly escape from between the pad and
disc
- and sometimes ineffective shims. If the problem was repetitive (and it
often
was) I found that using a hacksaw to cut two diagonal slots down to the
backing
plate on both pads so they vented at the top of the caliper cured the
problem
permanently. The last set of pads I bought were 'green stuff' that
claimed not
to tarnish the wheels with brake dust. It ticked that box but
squealed so badly
I threw them out and went back to the older type of
asbestos-free pad.

Jonmac