[TR] Correct TR4/TR4A/TR250 Steel Wheel Size

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Aug 2 18:47:08 MDT 2010

> However, a few original literature
> pieces
> I have looked at mention the 4 inch steel wheels as standard on the
> TR4.

Wow, that seems strange!  It was my understanding that only very early TR2s
had 4" wheels, the steel wheel specification was changed to 4.5" at TS1869
according to several references.

> A club member
> mentioned that
> the TR250 came with 4 1/2 inch steel wheels that were welded and not
> riveted.
> Does this sound right to folks?

I'm certainly no expert, but I don't think that's right.  My recollection is
that the TR250 wheels were 5", and the Moss catalog agrees.

> I have a set of both right now and plan on using the wider 4  1/2 inch
> rim so
> I can put 185 width tires on.

Didn't the TR250 also have "Rostyle" hub caps?  That means the wheels will
have those extra long posts, something like an inch longer than the proper
TR4 wheels.  I don't know if the TR4 hubcaps will mount on them, but they
would look funny (IMO) if they will.

-- Randall