[TR] TR4 Compression; Vacuum gauge

Brian Jones tr4zest at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 12:48:29 MDT 2010

Compression testing is invaluable in detecting variances and anomalies in
one's own car and of little value in comparing from car to car and technique
to technique - let alone the variances in the accuracy of the different
gauges employed.

The following factors (and a few I haven't thought of) will provide
different readings:

* How proficient is the unit at sealing the plug hole?

* How good a shape is the car's starter and battery?

* Is it a modern gear-reduction starter?

* Have all the spark plugs been removed, or just the cylinder being
measured?

* How warm is the engine, how recently run?

What is important is the relative readings on the cylinders on your car. To
get a smooth idle and to run well, it is easier if all the cylinders read
within 10-15% of each other.

When I got my TR4 a few years ago, I had a terrible idle and low compression
in #1. It took a while to discover it was the wrong valve guide (too big
i/d).

Easy enough to drift out and replace  - my, what a difference.

On another topic, one art we seem to have largely lost is the reading of a
vacuum gauge on a running engine. It can reveal an amazing amount about the
engine's overall health and flag specific faults.

Take a look at the scenarios here:
http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm

Brian Jones

1962 Triumph TR4