[TR] K&N Filters

cfmtr3a at verizon.net cfmtr3a at verizon.net
Wed Apr 21 14:44:40 MDT 2010

I had K&N's on my car in the 90's - will probably have them again when I am done with my project.   I had two sets of elements, cleaning one and keeping it ready for replacement when performance or visual inspection prompted the change.   Also, that meant that it was ready to go in minutes if needed.  (but somehow in the ensuing years - i can find them - so will put the stock AC filters on to begin with)

Carl

Apr 21, 2010 08:36:55 PM, deruiterville at hotmail.com wrote:

Justin Wagner wrote:

> That said, you do have to clean them! And you do have to maintain the
> oil on the filter medium in order for them to perform correctly.

That point cannot be overemphasized. I just helped a friend with his recent
TR4 purchase. Nice looking car, but it was barely running when he got it and
was missing and belching black smoke frequently. Didn't take long to realize
the K&N filters were nearly completely plugged. Temporarily replaced them
with fresh paper filters, and changed out the heavily sooted plugs and he had
a completely different car.

Nothing against the filters personally, but people need to realize that
maintenance on them is not optional, it is a requirement.

Randy
64 TR4
59 TR3A

http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL