[TR] TR4 generator failing

Lee&John Howard leejohn7 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 12:19:41 MDT 2010

At least that's what i think is happening.

On a long drive a week ago, in the cold rain with wipers and heater motor
going and lights on, the battery ran down and of course caused much
misfiring. There are less than 500 miles on the engine.  The battery had
discharged strangely in previous months but  I chalked it up to repeated
startings.

I've tried to test the  generator in the car, and don't get any read at all
on my voltage meter. I've also tried the amp test, and if i've done it
correctly, get no read there either.  This is hard to believe as it is a new
unit, from VB. I'm 99% sure I polarized it upon installation.

Would someone be so kind as to describe a simple voltage test that I can
conduct at the generator, so I can be certain I have that right? I know I
also need to check the connections to the control box and the regulator and
cutout.

Many thanks

John