[TR] K&N Filters

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Apr 21 15:12:36 MDT 2010

> The smaller particulates that might have passed through the
> filter otherwise, are caught, like flypaper, to the the oiled medium.

The independent tests I've seen (and quoted) say otherwise.

> It's truly "apples and oranges" to compare filter media without
> comparing the benefits versus the disadvantages.

Certainly one should weigh benefits and disadvantages.  All I suggested was
to be aware that one of the disadvantages is more dirt in your engine.

> the water the material trapped in the oil of the filter was released in
> the form of a mud.

I wasn't there, but he examined the carbs under a microscope, and decided
they were filter fibers.  He didn't believe it either, seemed more
reasonable that it was dirt in the rainwater, but that was his conclusion.

> Don't mount filters where they
> can be hit by water

A 914/6 doesn't give a lot of choice in that area, unless you want to cut
the body apart to install a Baja-style air intake.  The filters were at the
top of the engine compartment (on top of the downdraft carbs), comparable to
where most of us have our air filters.

> and keep the filters clean!

Again, I wasn't there.  But knowing my friend and how fanatic he is about
his Porsche, I seriously doubt that he had not been servicing them as
recommended by K&N.

> If the K&N's sloughed off fibers to the extent that they'd
> block engine parts, by being hit by water just once, why would there
> even be a filter left after years of cleaning and, supposedly, casting
> off of fibers?

Perhaps they stop sloughing after a certain number of washings?  Or perhaps
it has to do with the water being forced through the filter by the suction
of the engine, rather than being "gently drained by gravity" as K&N
specifies.

> Yes, I'm biased... I like the K&N system.

And I have no problem with that.  Get the facts, then make your own
decision.  The fact is that every independent test shows the K&N filters are
inferior at keeping dirt out of the engine.

-- Randall