[TR] Valve Cover

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Apr 15 21:16:37 MDT 2010

> Anyway, today I felt the edges for the first time and find it
> overlaps the head surface on the dizzy side by three-eights,
> maybe more, meaning the Justin Wagner seal only partially
> contacts the head surface.  I don't know if it's fixable.

If I am reading this right, Terry, that is actually normal, or at least
nearly so.  The lip of the stock cover hangs over the edge of the cylinder
head, out into space, so that even part of the stock gasket (which fits
entirely inside the lip) is not in contact with the head.  Justin's gasket
wraps around the lip of the cover (to help ensure it's located properly, I
believe) and so it hangs out into space as well.

If you look at the lip of the cover, I believe you'll find it comes down
from the flat side into a low spot, then kicks back up slightly and down
again into the final edge.  That initial low spot is the sealing surface, so
as long as it winds up above the flat mating surface on the head, all should
be well.  Sometimes it does bow out, from extreme overtightening, in which
case it needs to be either bent back, or replaced.

Randall