[TR] TR 250 carb woes

Steve Thornton sothornton at stevethorntonlaw.com
Thu Apr 15 08:19:15 MDT 2010

List-

I need your collective help.

I have a relatively new restoration of a TR 250 and the carbs were
rebuilt in the Summer of 2008. Since then, the car has run relatively
care free.

However, after a few month lay off, I tried driving it in March, only to
smell a strong gas smell once started. I left the car running, popped
the hood and determined gas was pouring out of the float bowl of the
rear carburetor.

Last night, a friend and I tore down the carbs and found a small amount
of dirt in the rear carb, installed Grose jets in both reassembled them
and the same thing occurred in the rear carb only. We then removed the
carbs, inspected both and adjusted the float to 11/16ths as the rebuild
kit suggested. Same result. We are baffled about why the rear carb is
overflowing gas from the rear carburetor. Any ideas of what we do next?

Many thanks in advance.

Steve Thornton
Bowling Green, KY

1963 Jaguar Mk II RHD
1968 Triumph TR 250
1963 Harley Davidson Topper
2000 Indian Chief
2007 Harley Davidson Heritage Springer Classic