[TR] TR 250 carb woes

Bud Rolofson levilevi at comcast.net
Thu Apr 15 16:41:50 MDT 2010

Steve,

You've gotten lots of good advise on the cause and I agree.

Here's how I deal with clogged fuel needle valves.  First get used to
taking off the bottom half of the fuel chamber bowls with the carbs
still on.  You'll get better and better at it...I did after about the
first 10-15 times.  With them off pour the fuel into a white plastic
bowl to see what you've got clogging the needle valves.  You can then
start figuring out what part of the fuel system to replace first.  I
started with lining the tank with an Eastwood kit and progressed
through all the fuel hoses and lines all the way to the carbs.  Got a
lot of experience cleaning those fuel bowls in the process of finding
out "did they stay clean this time?" .   I even put in temporary extra
fuel filters (2 with extra hoses) between the fuel pump and carbs to
get the specs out that kept reappearing in the bowls.  It finally work
most of it (pretty sure it was varnish since the specs crumbled into
particles that looked like varnish) got cleared out of the system but
to this day I still make sure to clean the bowls before going on a
long trip...just part of the routine stuff now that I can whip them
suckers on and off in a half hour.  Never fails to make it run smoother.

Bud Rolofson

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
66TR4A CTC57806 (The Wreck-Almost parts)
66TR4A CTC57529 (The Project)
71F-250 Camper Special (Triumph Support Vehicle)
Z-50A Hardly Davidson 1977 Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)
levilevi at comcast.net