[TR] Spitfire Mk III Engine Interchangeability Pre-71?

Joe Curry spitlist at cox.net
Sat Apr 10 15:59:34 MDT 2010

All spitfire engines have pretty much the same outside dimensions and
therefore will fit any year model.

The only things that you might have to deal with are connections to other
gearboxes, meaning that if you do not change gearboxes, you may have to deal
with some clutch and flywheel issues.  If you do change gearboxes as well,
then you might have to deal with a longer or shorter drive shaft.

But the engine blocks themselves have the same location for engine mounts
and have the same bolt pattern on the backing plates.

Joe