[TR] TR4A Radiator Duct

Alan Myers amfoto1 at aol.com
Tue Sep 29 20:58:21 MDT 2009

Hi Pat,

That looks quite similar to the duct that came with my '62 TR4. It was "fibreboard", aka cardboard or chipboard and exactly that shape and size, as best I can tell from the photos. The only difference, the one in my car had a black finish on the "top" side seen in your?photos.?It?appeared to be a layer of black paper. Inside it was more brown than gray. I bought my car in the late 1970s and would guess the duct was original (it still had the original gearbox cover, which was similar material).

The fibreboard in my car was in bad shape. I reinforced it on the inside with fiberglass cloth and soaked it with resin (did the same with the gearbox cover). It lasted another ten years or so, after which I finally replaced it with a homemade?aluminum duct. I've seen replacement ducts (and gearbox covers)?made of black plastic, too.

I don't know if the TR4A used exactly the same duct as the TR4 (or the TR250/5, for that matter). I know the radiator itself is different (mine is the "long neck" same as was used in the TR3A).

Perhaps one of Bill Piggott's books shows the radiator ducts.

Alan Myers
San Jose, California
amfoto1 at aol.com
'62 TR4 CT17602L