[TR] tr3 CARBURATION

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Sep 27 21:54:20 MDT 2009

> carbs where working good when i put the car into restoration
> 4 years ago.
> took them out of storage, cleaned them up, cleaned out the
> bowls and put them on the car.
> now they are running way rich. with the adjustment screw
> tightened all the way they are still way rich.
> any thoughts?

My first thought is that your float valves are leaking for some reason (or
simply set way too high).  Was the fuel pump replaced or rebuilt?  Fuel
pressure might be too high.

I assume you have checked carefully that the jet heads are indeed resting
against the nuts.

Needles mounted properly in the pistons?  The shoulder of the needle should
be flush with the bottom of the piston, sometimes they can be pushed higher
than that (which would cause rich mixture).

Pistons move perfectly freely, land with a click if you lift and release
them?  Improper jet centering can cause them to bind only at the very bottom
of travel, which can make idle mixture way rich (or lean).

Randall