[TR] [6pack] Eastwood Spring Compressor

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Sep 22 20:05:58 MDT 2009

> Someone on the List told me long ago to only use Acme
> threaded rod due to
> the cut of the thread and the subsequent holding power.

Acme threads are stronger than V-threads of the same pitch and major
diameter, because less of the diameter is taken up by the thread (larger
minor diameter).  But the advantage mostly disappears when compared to
V-threads of finer pitch; and oddly enough, standard V-threads are finer
pitch than standard ACME threads.

I thought about using ACME rod; but Home Depot doesn't carry it, and the
3/4" V-thread rod I used is such total overkill anyway (tensile strength
around 20,000 pounds) that it just didn't matter.  I guarantee it can pull
your 3/8" ACME in half without even noticing the load (though I might need
to get out the strong impact gun instead of the wimpy one).
http://tinyurl.com/mg2k5u

Randall