[TR] Eastwood Spring Compressor

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Sep 22 12:10:12 MDT 2009

> I know that external spring compressors usually don't work on our cars
> What do you think?

I think my fingers are worth more than the proper tool!

That said, I use one that I made myself, from a bit of scrap from the bin
(actually an old generator pulley half from a VW bug, I believe), some 3/4"
threaded rod, nuts & washers from Home Depot.  Works a treat.  And since it
actually pinches the spring between the spring pan and shock tower (just
like the suspension does), there is no way it can slip off the spring.
http://tinyurl.com/le3f46

I once picked up a spring that was compressed with the style you referenced
at Eastwood, just as it slipped.  I was lucky and only got my knuckles
rapped ... the spring compressor wound up out in the street while the spring
flew some 10 feet the other way.  But it could have been a whole lot worse
if it had been pointed at me or even if I'd just picked it up the other way.
There is a LOT of energy in those things!

-- Randall