[TR] Off-topic -deadly floormats

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Sun Sep 20 03:26:39 MDT 2009

In a message dated 9/18/2009 6:10:26 PM Central Daylight Time,
mkearns2 at gmail.com writes:
> There was an article in the San Diego Union Tribune (a rag of a paper
> btw)
> from  the head of some auto safety organization who insisted that the
> floor
> mats were not the real cause.  According to him the ignition systems have
> become so complex that electromagnetic interference can cause these types
> of
> occurrences.  Since that article came out there have been many accounts
> from
> people reporting unexplained short term bursts of acceleration.

Typical non-technical jounalist, me thinks.  EMI causing havoc in the
ignition system would only cause the engine to misfire and reduce power.

However, IF that car has "Drive-By-Wire,' or a servo actuated throttle, EMI
could certainly cause the throttle to open without respect to the command
coming from the gas pedal.

Does this car have Drive-By-Wire?

Dave