[TR] Off-topic -deadly floormats

George Richardson gprtech at frontiernet.net
Sun Sep 20 04:36:25 MDT 2009

An interesting note for those who might not be familiar, Volvo adopted a
drive by wire system in 1999. The motor controlled throttle body was
designed and supplied by Fiat. This has proven to be a major failure
point in Volvos equipped with it. At least one fatality is said to be
caused by it.

The failure can cause stalling, engine fault lights and surges in
acceleration. There was an NHTSA recall for some cars to fix the
problem, but the real issue is the throttle body uses cheap file
potentiometers as feedback, and they start to wear and accumulate dirt
quickly. I've actually done a tear down of one to look into the problem
with an idea for a proper upgrade to hall effect (no contact magnetic)
sensors designed specifically for the job.

You won't hear much about it of course, because Volvo is the "Safety car".

George Richardson