[TR] TR4A Sputtering - Partially Solved

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Sun Sep 20 02:13:32 MDT 2009

In a message dated 9/18/2009 9:22:25 PM Central Daylight Time,
spitlist at cox.net writes:
> While you are at it, why not install a new Pertronix.  It will be far
> more
> reliable and should it ever fail, you can just quickly slip in a set of
> points and condenser to get you on your way.

I just puled a Pertronix out of a Spitfire yesterday at the car show and
stuck in a Crane XR700 that I had just bought from a vendor for $10 (used).
The symptom was the car would run up to 47 MPH and die.  After coasting down
to 42 it would start up again.  Throttle position had no effect.  Adding an
electric fuel pump had no effect.  Changing rotors had no effect.  The Crane
fixed it.

So here's a case where the electronic system failed with "graceful
degradation."

Dave