[TR] Sticking Valves?

Michael Lang mlang99 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 19 10:32:22 MDT 2009

I have now got about 2000 miles on my freshly rebuilt TR3 engine and am
having a sporadic problem. I drive a lot of hilly back roads on the way
to and from work. When I climb one particularly long hill at about
65mph, the engine starts missing on one cylinder and I begin to hear a
lot of valve train clatter. If I back off a bit, it stops missing and
runs fine. It continues for such a short time after reducing load that I
have never been able to stop and diagnose the problem.

When I rebuilt the engine, I had the head done with new valves, bronze
guides and hardened seats. I think that I have a valve that is sticking
when running hot under load. Is this a common problem with these
engines? Any other thoughts an what might be happening?

Thanks,

Mike