[TR] Sticking Valves?

Tony Drews tony at tonydrews.com
Sat Sep 19 10:51:19 MDT 2009

The valve guide clearance is a key factor in our engines.  With too
small clearance, we have stuck valves in racing conditions -
especially when the engine starts running hot.  With a high lift cam
so the valve can potentially hit the piston, the result is
disastrous.  With the stock lift, there shouldn't be interference, so
the result is much less catastrophic.  The #4 cylinder is more prone
to run hot than the other cylinders.  So, your theory is
plausible.  BTW, we specify 0.004" with new guides.

Normally I would suspect a fuel delivery problem, but the "valve
train clatter" is suspicious.

- Tony Drews