[TR] valve float .........top speed

Karl Vacek kvacek at ameritech.net
Sat Sep 19 18:46:14 MDT 2009

When TSF 130L was nearly new (1965-1966) I had it to an indicated 103 - 105
on a number of occasions, and that really seemed to be the top end no matter
how well I tuned it.  I always ran premium gas.  In the summer of 1966, on a
trip through the west with a buddy and loaded with clothes and camping gear,
we raced a Volvo P1800S in Utah one evening, and slowly pulled away from
him, again at just over 100 MPH.

By the way, since every so often someone comments on economy, on that 4,900
mile trip, lots of mountains (Black Hills, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons,
through Durango and Silverton up to Denver, Estes Park, etc.) and a good
dose of Interstates, we got 31.25 MPG overall.  Two 17-18 year olds with
lead feet.  Dead stock car, no OD, probably had close to 40,000 miles on it
at that time.

Wish I could've skipped college and kept that car, but my parents had other
ideas...

Karl