[TR] TR4 "Sputtering"

Brian Thomas thomasb at queensu.ca
Fri Sep 18 09:31:30 MDT 2009

Hi guys,

Yesterday, we drove the just under 300 miles to Stowe , Vermont in
the TR4A with it "sputtering" just about all the way.  Power on the
hills was very poor where normally pushing on the accelerator
increases the speed easily.  Arriving in Vermont, the rear bumper was
covered in a blue haze which was not oily.

I'm suspecting the condensor has gone bad again.  Eleven years ago
(same trip), I replaced the condensor and eliminated a similar
problem.  My TR4A is a very late model with the SU HS6 carbs.

Any other ideas before I go shopping at the vendors' shops (in the
big tent as it's currently raining)?

I'll probably pick up a set of copper ignition wires if I can find
them as the carbon ones on the car are probably 12+  years old.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian