[TR] Off-topic -deadly floormats?

v6spitfireguy at cox.net v6spitfireguy at cox.net
Fri Sep 18 06:35:44 MDT 2009

Oh Yes, the accident did happen.  I live about 5 miles from where it took
place, and drive by the area it happened on a regular basis -
The section of freeway is a very long gradual two lane curve, a transition
between freeway 125 heading north, turning into freeway 52 heading west.
There is no intersection per say as referred to in the 911 call, rather a
level section of overpass where Mast blvd goes under that area of the
freeway.  The on and off ramps are of course at this junction and after the
two lane on-ramp to the freeway from Mast, it turns into four lanes that
head up a very long (several miles) rather steep hill.  Most large trucks
are lucky if they are doing 50 when they reach the top -
What I can't understand is why.  A trained officer that basically, drives
all day for a living...given the circumstances selecting neutral, shutting
off the motor and risking going off road for a bit early on, at least for
me would have been preferable to just riding the brakes then flying off the
edge ( after colliding with another vehicle first) and crashing as is
apparently what happened - But I never want to find out what I would really
do --

According to witnesses, the wheels were on fire just before it went over
the edge indicating that he had probably been riding the brakes for a while
-

Still a terrible tragedy.  The irony in my opinion is ,had this happened
when the freeway was packed, which it is around rush hour, it probably
wouldn't have happened the way it did, as he would have collided with
someone long before the car could have built up speed - Of course, that may
have been a cause of even more deaths - who knows -

Barry Schwartz -