[TR] TR4 "Sputtering"

Andrew Mace zoboherald at aol.com
Fri Sep 18 10:52:28 MDT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Thomas <thomasb at queensu.ca>

Hi guys,?
?

Yesterday, we drove the just under 300 miles to Stowe , Vermont in
the TR4A with it "sputtering" just about all the way.  Power on the
hills was very poor where normally pushing on the accelerator
increases the speed easily.  Arriving in Vermont, the rear bumper was
covered in a blue haze which was not oily. ...
?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

==AM==
Inline fuel filter plugging up, or dirt in the float bowls or elsewhere? Certainly, ignition is where I usually look first for such problems, but that would be the second place I'd look. I don't know about bad 11-year-old plug wires, but I've got some original 45-year-old plug wires that still work pretty darned well. But then, "they don't make 'em like they used to...." :-)
?

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph Herald engine with wings.

Triumph 10 / Herald / Sports 6 vehicle consultant, The Vintage Triumph Register: http://www.vtr.org

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph Herald Database: http://triumph-herald.usww.team.net/archive?