[TR] Off-topic -deadly floormats?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Sep 18 10:54:03 MDT 2009

> It also makes one
> wonder what they teach in Driver's Ed in general.

Oddly enough, I asked a friend's daughter about that last year. She had just
gotten her driver's license after completing a fairly expensive driving
course.  While it's possible that it was discussed and she was not paying
attention; she claimed that they had only discussed mundane things like
skidding; and essentially nothing of what to do in less common emergency
situations like brake failure, stuck throttle or even a flat tire!

No mention of those things in "traffic school" either.

I was curious about the topic because of the many deaths attributed to tire
failure in recent years.  Apparently a large portion of the driving public
has no idea what to do with a blowout, even when they aren't panicking.

-- Randall