[TR] Off-topic -deadly floormats?

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Thu Sep 17 19:34:51 MDT 2009

On 17 Sep 2009 at 17:31, Randall wrote:

> Why does this remind me of the Audi "sudden acceleration" problem?

Which is exactly what I was going to ask.  I believe they called it
"unintended acceleration", first proposed by one of the "consumers'
evaluation" magazines, as I recall.  The car-mag writers then all
started singing the praises of intended acceleration.

I was a grad student with someone who swore it happened to his father
who apparently smashed his car into the back wall of his garage.
Ummmmm...  I never could quite believe the story, not that someone
wouldn't hit the back of the garage but that it wasn't just a case of
hitting the wrong pedal.  It doesn't take much time to go 10ft when
you hit the loud pedal.  In tests, meaning the driver knows reaction
time is being tested, reaction time pedal to pedal is about 0.4sec.
17mph will cover 10ft in 0.4sec.  If the driver is startled or the
wall is closer, e.g. only 3ft, and the car is "energetic", it is
quite possible.

For what it's worth, the Spitfire and GT6 pedals are close together
enough that wide shoes and sloppy footwork can result in the gas
pedal going down accidentally during breaking.

Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com