[TR] Off-topic -deadly floormats?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Sep 17 21:52:30 MDT 2009

> For what it's worth, the Spitfire and GT6 pedals are close together
> enough that wide shoes and sloppy footwork can result in the gas
> pedal going down accidentally during breaking.

Yeah, but they didn't have a rash of people claiming that the car moved when
they put their foot on the brake.

As I recall the remainder of the Audi story, while it was never conclusively
proven to be the problem, that particular model did have the brake pedal
arranged low enough that, if you put your foot on both the brake and the gas
pedal, the car would lurch forward.  That is to say, the throttle would open
before the brakes applied as your foot descended.

Sounded hokey to me too, but after several reported incidents, VW did a
recall and installed what amounted to blocks bolted to the brake pedal to
bring it up above the gas pedal; and no one reported the problem with the
modified cars.

Randall