[TR] Off-topic -deadly floormats?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Sep 17 18:31:59 MDT 2009

> Can somebody tell me if Lexus's are normally wired so that one cannot
> simply turn off the ignition or stamp on the brakes if the engine gets
> stuck on full?

The report I just read said the driver reported that the brakes didn't work.
He apparently dropped the phone before trying the 911 dispatcher's
suggestion of turning the ignition off.

Whole thing does sound rather unbelievable; but I suppose that even a CHP
officer can panic when a strange car (it was a loaner) apparently turns on
them.

They apparently don't know for certain that the floor mats were the problem;
but Toyota has warned about mats interfering with pedals before so they
apparently chose to repeat that warning.

Why does this remind me of the Audi "sudden acceleration" problem?

-- Randall